Easy Steps to Participate!
Step 1: Check your Listing on National Literacy Directory
Step 2: Engage your Legislators.
- Look up your legislator.
- Send an Email to Schedule an Appointment
- Additional Scheduling Options for State Leaders
- Log Your Appointments
- Gubernatorial Proclamation Template
- Toolkit for State Leadership Participating in AEFL Week
- Share our Video
- Access the Award-Winning Educate and Elevate Campaign Site – www.educateandelevate.org
- Download State Fact Sheets
- COABE Recommendations for the Biden Administration & 117th Congress
- Meeting Feedback
Step 3: News Release
Write a News Release and Distribute it on Social Media and to your local Television and Radio Stations.
Step 4: Schedule your social media!
#AEFLweek, or Adult Education and Family Literacy Week, celebrates and brings awareness to Adult Ed’s value to whole communities and families. Improving a parent’s literacy can have generational benefits– increasing the parent’s involvement in their child’s schooling and the literacy levels of their children. Some people, such as our partners, students, or funders, may not know the full value of adult and continuing education, and #AEFLweek is our opportunity to educate people about the value that Adult Education brings to all. Please visit Indiana Adult Education’s new Social Media Library to find ready-made posts, stats, and more for your organization to use and share during #AEFLweek and spread the word about the community benefits that Adult Education offers.
See the resources to the right from DWD, COABE. If you would like to include the iaace logo, we encourage you to do so. Right-click on the image below and ‘save image as.’
Step 5: Share your successes and student success stories!
Step 6: Utilize all the resources from our collaborating organizations to lighten your load!
Need help finding something, use the search feature or pop-up box from Jenn Wigginton or Ask for help!
We got this! #AEFLWeek2022 #AdultEducation Movement Together we succeed!
Indiana Talking Points
Local Program AEFL Slides
Be sure to tag @COABEHQ and use #COABEontheHill2022 #COABE2022 #AdultEdu2022 #AdultEdLiteracyWeek #AEFL2022 #IAACE
Hashtags to copy and paste
#AEFL2022 #IAACE #COABEontheHill2022 #AdultEd2022 #AdultEdLiteracyWeek #INAdultEd #AdultEducation #AEFLWeek
# Don’t forget your organizations! #
AEFL Week Artwork and Fact Sheet
ProLiteracy and National Coalition for Literacy have developed a fact sheet and a logo to help programs and individuals participate in the promotion of adult education and family literacy.
National Adult Education and Family Literacy Week raises public awareness about the need for and value of adult education and family literacy. Its goal is to increase financial and societal support for access to basic education programs for U.S. adults with low literacy, numeracy, and digital skills. Advocates across the country use this opportunity to elevate adult education and family literacy nationwide with policymakers, the media, and the community.
AEFL WEEK DATES AND ACTIVITIES
In 2022, National Adult Education and Family Literacy Week will be observed from September 18 to September 24. NCL’s AEFL Week activities will focus on the pivotal role of adult education in enabling equitable access to societal resources, employment opportunity, and full participation in community life.
WAYS TO PARTICIPATE
- Download the AEFL Week logo and use it in your social media, on your website, and in your print communications
- Download and share NCL’s latest Adult Education Fact Sheet and NCL Fact Sheet
- Customize and share NCL’s AEFL Week social media messaging
- Find literacy quotes and links to maps and data on adult literacy on NCL’s About Adult Literacy page
- Check out toolkits and other resources from NCL members for planning advocacy around National AEFL Week
- Invite your local, state, and federal policymakers to visit your program and meet your adult learners
- Host an activity or event to raise awareness of adult education and family literacy.
National AEFL Week originated in 2009 when the National Coalition for Literacy worked with then-Congressman Jared Polis (D-CO), then-Senator Lamar Alexander (R-TN), and Senator Patty Murray (D-WA) to create a Congressionally-recognized designation that would draw attention to the importance of adult education and family literacy. Since then, NCL has sponsored National AEFL Week in September each year on behalf of its members and the field as a whole and has worked with Members of Congress to have the week recognized through resolutions in the Senate and the House of Representatives.