National Adult Education and Family Literacy Week
September 18-24, 2022
Step 1 Check your Listing on National Literacy Directory
National Adult Education and Family Literacy Week raises public awareness about the need for and value of adult education and family literacy. Its goal is to increase financial and societal support for access to basic education programs for U.S. adults with low literacy, numeracy, and digital skills. Advocates across the country use this opportunity to elevate adult education and family literacy nationwide with policymakers, the media, and the community.
AEFL Week Dates and Activities
In 2021, National Adult Education and Family Literacy Week will be observed from September 19 to September 25. NCL’s AEFL Week activities will focus on the pivotal role of adult education in enabling equitable access to societal resources, employment opportunity, and full participation in community life.
In 2022, National Adult Education and Family Literacy Week will be observed from September 18 to September 24.
Ways to Participate
- Download the AEFL Week logo and use it in your social media, on your website, and in your print communications
- Download and share NCL’s latest Adult Education Fact Sheet and NCL Fact Sheet
- Customize and share NCL’sAEFL Week social media messaging
- Find literacy quotes and links to maps and data on adult literacy on NCL’s About Adult Literacy page
- Check out toolkits and other resources from NCL members for planning advocacy around National AEFL Week
- Invite your local, state, and federal policymakers to visit your program and meet your adult learners
- Host an activity or event to raise awareness of adult education and family literacy.
National AEFL Week originated in 2009 when the National Coalition for Literacy worked with then-Congressman Jared Polis (D-CO), then-Senator Lamar Alexander (R-TN), and Senator Patty Murray (D-WA) to create a Congressionally-recognized designation that would draw attention to the importance of adult education and family literacy. Since then, NCL has sponsored National AEFL Week in September each year on behalf of its members and the field as a whole and has worked with Members of Congress to have the week recognized through resolutions in the Senate and the House of Representatives.
National Adult Education Data Sheet
Adult Education and Workforce Data Sheet
State Data Sheet
COABE site includes a schedule of events and more
AEFL Week Artwork and Fact Sheet
ProLiteracy and National Coalition for Literacy have developed a fact sheet and a logo to help programs and individuals participate in the promotion of adult education and family literacy.