Educate & Elevate
We urge policy makers to stay informed on our successes and to fund Adult
Education at the $649 million level as called for in the Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act enacted in 2014. Check out our page on the Educate and Elevate website (here) and view Indiana’s successes and innovations.
If you have a story, testimonial or innovation to submit you may submit them by emailing email@example.com or by going to the Educate & Elevate website. Click on the links below to complete a brief online form and instructions for submissions.
- Success Story— a narrative that shares the challenge(s), solution(s), and outcome(s) of a student or employer.
- Customer Testimonial— a first-person quote from a student about how adult education supported their goals and dreams and/or from an employer who had a great experience with an adult education organization and/or an adult learner.
- Innovation— a narrative summary of an adult education program, project, or initiative that you believe has been innovative in helping students, employers, and/or your community.
The power of these collective stories across the nation will inspire and inform policy makers, business leaders, community leaders and many more!
Advocacy on behalf of Indiana adult education can take many forms – interacting with IAACE online, inviting a community partner to visit your program, sharing a student story with your legislator. We aim to provide you with tools to help you incorporate advocacy in easy and effective ways. Join us in making the importance of adult ed known!
Below are various resources to help you advocate for adult education. Additional resources will be added and please let us know (via the contact form) if there are specific tools you would find helpful in your advocacy efforts!
- Send us your stories of students who have achieved successful results!
- Send us press releases, photos and/or related information. We’ll share them throughout the state and nationally.
- Host an activity or event to raise awareness of adult education and family literacy. Share it with us so we can help get the word out.
- Invite legislators and policy makers to your program so they can see firsthand, the work that you do.
The following organizations have provided some excellent resources to help advocate for adult education.
- COABE Media Outreach Toolkit for COABE Members
- Pro Literacy’s AEFL Toolkit
- National Coalition for Literacy AEFL Week Flyer
- National Skills Coalition Middle-Skills Fact Sheet (for Indiana)
- National Skills Coalition Fact Sheet
- Finish Your Diploma campaign toolkit – PSAs, videos, printable materials, social media assets, and helpful tips to engage your community and partners.
- Legislative Lunches
- Sample Invites:
- COABE letter urging Senator/Representative support for funding of Adult Education
- Sample Media Release Form (2 samples)
- Record your students’ stories. Click here for some tips.
- Find and contact your IN General Assembly
- Local & National Impact of Graduation Rate
- Maps – Adults without High School Credentials
- Postcard example (Region 4)
Telling the story of adult education is often done best by students. Check out the student stories here and on our YouTube Channel then check out our Advocacy Tools (above) to help with advocacy efforts like these and others!
View full length “IN Adult Education Gives Hope” video here.